Profile image for busy_girly_x

Can anyone tell me why Robbie Johnson's Bistro has closed down? This is the second restaurant to close in Brough within the month- worrying times.

By busy_girly_x at 12:57 on 07/12/11

Re-post           

• Profile image for Emma_Pearson

I have been asking the exact same question busy_girly_x and still don't have a definitive answer. It can't be due to lack of sales because when ever I went past the bistro it always seemed full on an evening.

By Emma_Pearson at 13:17 on 07/12/11

• Profile image for piesman

No sales most Thursday eveings. Made no attempt to attract families despite being in a town that is very family orientated. They did no advertising whatsoever or any incentives to encourage people to visit. Hopefully we could now see a well run Indian restaurant in there.

By piesman at 16:35 on 08/01/12

Thank you for replying Piesman, whenever I went past it always seemed to be busy on weekend evening times. When speaking to people who had made a reservation there, they told me you had to book sometimes up to two weeks in advance. I have tried making contact with Robbie Johnsons in Hull about this but to no avail.

By Emma_Pearson at 09:39 on 09/01/12

The other main problem is that it is very small so even when full it is not generating huge amounts. This is why I believe only something like an Indian restaurant would pay as they could also do takeaways as well as sit down meals. I would expect Brough could easily cope with two. It has two chinese takeaways.

By piesman at 22:11 on 09/01/12

In my opinion, I think it has tried to be a café/ bistro and they clearly did not work so I just don't think an Indian restaurant would either, but that is just my opinion.
    If anything I hope it doesn't become another hairdressers primarily because we have so many already. I would love it if it was maybe a gift shop or if the Post Office was to move there because their current location is far too small.

By Emma_Pearson at 11:10 on 10/01/12

A gift shop would not make enough money and there is not any parking for the post office so neither would really work as a business. An Indian would work simply as they could suppliment the covers in the restaurant with 4/5 times as many in takeaways. This is how the majority are so successful. I know of one that is a similar size to the Robbie Johnsons site and they fill up on weekends but can serve 4/5 times as many meals each night than a stand alone restaurant.

By piesman at 16:19 on 10/01/12

• Profile image for busy_girly_x

I have to agree with Emma, I think if the post office was to move to a bigger location with some car park it would definitely solve the car parking issue already at the existing location. It is getting much worse and often causes a traffic hold up from the cross roads with cars waiting to turn in. As for an Indian takeaway I don't personally think it would work, it would if it was perhaps in Hull or York but I don't think it would in Brough. Whenever I go by the Indian it doesn't look that busy compared to say the Chinese takeaways or other takeaways in Brough. I may be wrong and it could be a complete success but for now I am remaining doubtful.

By busy_girly_x at 13:43 on 11/01/12

I suppose only time will tell what the new business venture will be at the old Robbie Johnsons Cafe.
    I hope it isn't going to be unoccupied for long as it would be nice to see a new business in there as soon as possible.
    After discussing the options with a relative they felt as though a licenced bar would work quite well in Brough, simply because a lot of people do travel to Hessle to visit such bars as The Weir so maybe there is scope for Brough having something of a similar nature. As I said before only time will tell.

By Emma_Pearson at 15:07 on 11/01/12

A wine bar maybe but it would have to be full most evening to really pay. As for the Indian takeaway I know it does very very well. They don't look busy as people only spend a minute in there collecting food. I agree the post office needs moving but to a site with a decent car park. I would not be surprised to see it move to Brough south once it opens.

By piesman at 20:38 on 11/01/12

• Profile image for peterw6889

Hows about a good old fasioned English cafe.Meat and tattie pies,rabbit stew,yorkshire puddings etc.Not everyone likes foriegn food.maybe thats why these places keep closing -- just a thought

By peterw6889 at 17:47 on 01/02/12

• Profile image for KirstieDavis

You can already get good proper English food at The Triton,game stew and freshly baked Steak pie - well worth the drive up there. And they do gluten free stuff.

By KirstieDavis at 18:49 on 01/02/12

Hate the Triton it's like a dingy celler and far to expensive for what it is and
    remember not everyone drives

By peterw6889 at 21:38 on 01/02/12

Why should we have to travel.Brough is now big enough to sustain it's own outlets and business.

By peterw6889 at 21:42 on 01/02/12

Oh my I didn't realise people still ate rabbit stew! haha... I have never tried it but I hear it is an acquired taste. I suppose though peterw6889 that you can get proper traditional English meals like steak pie and Yorkshire puddings in the many traditional pubs we have here around Brough. I would still really like to see a wine bar :)

By Emma_Pearson at 12:10 on 02/02/12

Be nice to have a venue that didn't revolve round alcohol,not that I'm tea total,far from it,just somewhere different for a change.Most of the pubs in the area are just boring clones of each other.

By peterw6889 at 17:47 on 02/02/12

So is there any news on whether this will be taken over at some stage?

By piesman at 20:45 on 09/02/12

I haven't heard anything piesman other than a lot of rumours circulating it is going to be an Indian restaurant- but whether these are true I am not sure.

By Emma_Pearson at 11:50 on 10/02/12

• Profile image for poppy_lover

I've heard on good authority that this site is possibly to become the latest addition to Costa Coffee. I hope so as there where else decent to get a good coffee in Brough or Elloughton.

By poppy_lover at 16:45 on 23/02/12

Oh well if that is the case and it is going to become a Costa Coffee, I think that will be great and very popular wihin Brough. I personally love their hot chocolates.

By Emma_Pearson at 17:08 on 23/02/12

Is there not a decent cafe 100m away ? Seem a bit odd to me. Robbie Johnson tried the daytime coffee shop idea an nobody went in. I always though places like that were more for shopping centres to give people a break.

By piesman at 17:59 on 23/02/12

• Profile image for poppet29

Costa have just opened their new outlet near Witty Street in Hull and thats not a shopping centre. With reference to a decent cafe 100m away, that is debatable. I've tried it a few times and its just not for me. Its more like a childrens creche, full of prams and screaming kids. Hopefully Costa will appeal to those who want to be able to have a coffee and a chat in peace. Only time will tell!!

By poppet29 at 18:45 on 23/02/12

Has the Costa idea fallen through as there are for sale signs up now.

By piesman at 19:55 on 14/03/12

• Profile image for ViSkel

I hear it's turning into an indian restaurant now.

By ViSkel at 12:48 on 22/05/12

• Profile image for John_Brough

I hope it's a decent one, then. I wouldn't eat the food from the Indian takeaway again if you paid me, I've had better microwave meals.

By John_Brough at 15:07 on 22/05/12

Have to disagree regarding the Indian takeaway as the food there is getting better and better. Hopfeully it will be the same owners as some of the already successful Indians in Anlaby.

By piesman at 21:01 on 22/05/12

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent